Simple vegitable Pulau (a different style)
* Basmati rice - 3/4 cups
* Unsalted butter or ghee - 1tablespoon
* Raisins - 2 tablespoon
* Cashew nut- 2 tablespoon
* Cumin seed- 1/4 teaspoon
* Cardamom pods -3
* 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half - 1
* Water - 1 1/2 cup
*Lemon Juice - 1/2 teaspoon
* Salt - as per your taste
For the vegetables:
* Unsalted butter or ghee= 2 tablespoon
* Small onion = 1/4 thinly sliced
* Minced fresh ginger = 1 tablespoon
* Garlic = 2 clovced (minced)
* Cumin seeds = 1/2 tablespoon
* Cardamom pods = 3
* Mixed vegs - small cauliflower florets, green beans, cut into small pieces,3 small potatoes peeled and quartered,1 medium carrot, cut into small pieces. ( I one cup of Tesco or Asda ready-made mixed vegetables)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2/3 cup water
* 2 tablespoons of toasted shredded coconut (not necessary)
- Rinse rice under cold running water till the water runs clear and set it aside for some time.
- Melt the butter or ghee in a thava over medium-high heat (adding a teaspoon of oil will prevent the ghee became burnt).
- Add raisins, cashew, cumin seed, cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick and toast for around 2 minutes.
- When it is ready add the rice and cook, continue stirring, until toasted.
- Now u can add the water and salt and lemon juice and cover it.
- Bring the rice to a boil in simmer, until the rice is tender it will take around 20 minutes and after that remove from the heat and keep it aside for some time and fluff with a fork and set aside.
- By this time, we can prepare our vegetables.
- For that melt the butter and add the onion and cook till the onions turn lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, when it's cooked add raisins, cumin seed, and cardamom and cook.It will take few minutes.
- Stir the mixed vegs and salt. Raise the heat to high and add water cover it and cook for 4 - 5mnts.
- Uncover and cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender and most of the water has evaporated.
- Add the rice to this and mix carefully.
Yeah Pulau is ready.