Thursday 24 March 2011

kerala Lemon pickle/naranga achar

Lemon pickle..naranga achar by {deepapraveen very busy with work..back soon

Lemon pickle and kanji. 
Once in my life I hate this..
Yes during my childhood flue days my amma tortured me with her Lemon pickles and Kanji... may be 20 days in a row on all most every month..see I was a very healthy child..But later I developed a strong passion for Lemon pickles, those were the times when those biriyani"s and fried rice dishes entered into my life, sharing lunch box season begN and my taste-buds started experiencing the culinary expertise of my friends mom"s..yes I rediscovered my passion for lemon pickles.
Few rains back I bought a bottle of lemon pickle(not from India) and it tasted like....and for that I paid sum. So I decided to prepare pickles myself after that not a hard job.

Ingredients. 
Good ripe lemon=10.
Asafoetida(Kayam) powder - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds(Uluva) - 1/2 tsp
Sugar=1/4 tspoon
Salt = 3 tablespoon.
Green chillies(medium) - 10 nos
Ginger(sliced) - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Garlic pods slit - 8
Chilly powder - `1 1/2 table spoon. (I used only one)
Vinegar - 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves=1 steam.
Sesame oil=1/4 cup.

Method:
1.Wash the lemon properly. Brush some sesame oil on top and steam this for 5 mnts allow it to cool and dry them using a dry cloth.

2.Then cut it to 8 pieces. If it is small lemon make 4 piece out of a single one.

3.Add salt,sugar to the lemon pieces and keep this away for few hours. (It is best if you can keep this mixture for few days on an air tight container. Add one or two lemon leaves and one green chilli silt to this mixture if you plan to keep this for few days and when you are ready to prepare your pickle remove the excess water and lemon leaves from this mixture).

4.Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds followed by fenugreek seeds,curry leaves, turmeric powder,ginger, garlic and green chillies followed by one by one and stir well.

5.Now you can add chilly powder and asafetida and mix well and add 1/4 cup of hot water to this mixture and bring to boil.

6.Reduce heat to low and gently add our lemon slices mixture. Mix well check the salt and remove from heat.

7. Add vinegar and mix it gently. Allow it to cool. Then transfer it to an air tight jar.

8. Pour one tspoon hot oil on top of this pickle and now u can close the jar with tight lid.

Enjoy your pickle.
would u like to have a look at my website: www.deepapraveen.com.All my images are copy righted so write to me first (madhudee@gmail.com) if you want to use them.

17 comments:

Rumana Rawat said...

My mouth is watering:)

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Wow...super pics...vaayayil vallam vannu...kidillan achaar...

Chitra said...

Very nice.. drooling :)

aipi said...

I am literally drooling..no kidding :))

US Masala

Nandita SS said...

Hi Deepa,

Thanks for all the lovely comments on my space. Your blog is just mind blowing. For a photography enthusiast, your blog is a learning experience. I'm delighted to follow you :)

Panchpakwan said...

1st time here..yummy recipes..
Keral lemon pickle is so tempting..

Gald to follow you...

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp, fingerlicking pickle,drooling here..

Usha said...

I don't like store bought pickles either. Couple of weeks ago, I had my friend bring me some lemon pickle from India. Your pickle is mouthwatering!

Suhaina said...

uuuuuhhh.. i am drooling here...nice recipe dear...nice clicks too.

Santosh Bangar said...

tangy and tempting pickle
1st time here wonderful space do visit my site

Muraligeetham said...

Hi.....thanku for your lovely comments....I loved your writeups too...Glad to follow you

Hari Chandana P said...

Very delicious and yummy recipe.. looks awesome.. thanks for the recipe :)

First time here.. Nice blog !!

Bikram said...

that looks so deliciousssssssssssssss ooooh i want some now


Bikram's

Suman Singh said...

This is just so mouth watering..I am loving it!

? said...

This is such a favourite; works well with Moru Curry and curd rice.

Unknown said...

Looks so mouthwatering good! YUM!

SheenaBabu said...

Color ful And Tempting

Yum

You may like this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...