Vegetables cubed - 1 cup.
Onion sliced - 1 small.
Tomoto - 1 small
Coconut milk - 1/2 cup or shredded coconut 1/4 cup.
Mustard seed - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seed - 1/4 tsp
Garlic and ginger sliced - 1/2 tsp each.
Bay leaf - 1/2
Coriander powder - 4/3 tsp.
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
Cashew nuts - few.
1.In a heave bottom pan heat oil on a medium heat.
2. When oil is hot add mustard seeds and when it cracks add ginger and garlic slices , cumin seeds, and bay leaf. (you can also add one clove and half star-anise); fry this for one or two minutes.
3 Add onion , green chilli and salt and on low heat cook for 5-7 minutes.
1. If you are using shredded coconut grind this at this stage , if it is coconut powder mix it with water to make 1/4 cup.
2. Grind the cashew nuts in this coconut mixture.
4. Check the onion mix and if it is transparent add the masals and turmeric. Fry for few minutes.
5. Mix this with coconut and cashew nut mix to get a thick paste. ( If the mixture is hot allow this to cool).
6. Add mixed vegs to the heavy bottom pan (we already prepared onion mix) and fry this for few minutes. Allow all the left over masalas in that pan to coat the vegetables.
7. Add the grind mix to this and stir well and cook in medium heat for further 5 minutes.
8. Add 1 cup (more or less depends on the consistency you want) hot water and bring to boil. Then cook in low heat for further 5 minutes.
9. Turn the heat off and add natural yogurt (curd) or cream to adjust the heat.
Serve this with paratha, chappathi or nan bread :)
Tuesday, 21 February 2012